ACC
Project Reflection
For
my part of the “Working with Refugees” class project, I worked with Faith and
Raza to format and compile the class documents into one cohesive piece for the
ACC. To do this, we created a
template and a cover page, and then copied and pieces written by the other
groups. We also had to compile a
sources list and insert profiles relating to the interviews we did earlier in
the year. Personally, I made the
cover page, compiled the source list, and created the “spotlight” sections that
included a few of the interviews that were conducted. I also made the final edits of the document once my group
members had formatted their specific parts (Faith formatted the introduction
and backgrounders, while Raza formatted the volunteers section).
Although
I didn’t work on writing the content that went into the project, I still feel
that I learned a great deal. I initially felt like I wouldn’t be contributing
much to the project because I was simply assigned to compile what everyone else
had completed. However, I soon discovered that every detail of the writing
process, and the group process, is important. Without the final editing and formatting, the project
wouldn’t have looked nearly as professional or aesthetically appealing. The visual aspect was especially
important in this project because it is a professional document that the ACC
might use to inform volunteers and refugee employers. If it were sloppy and difficult to read, the ACC might not
use it or the volunteers and employers might not want to spend the time reading
it. So I learned that with professional and business writing the presentation
of the writing is just as important as the writing itself.
I
also think that the project as a whole really illustrated what we learned as a
class about service learning. Too
often, people talk about volunteering in terms of the benefit it has to the
volunteer and not to the organization or cause that the person is volunteering
for. Through our class, we talked
a little bit about how service should not be fully a self-centered act. A person shouldn’t base his or her volunteer
experience on the benefit it had to him or her individually. Instead, there should be an effort to
make the experience mutually beneficial.
I learned this through my personal time volunteering at the ACC, as I
wasn’t able to work personally with refugees as much as I would have liked. I also think this project reflected
that idea because it was really a way to give something tangible to the
ACC. Hopefully, the ACC will find
the document useful in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment