Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Course Reflection Essay

The Definition of Refugee            
            On day one of our Writ 1733 class, I really had no idea what to expect. I knew that the class revolved around refugees and that there was a service-learning component that would have to be completed at the African Community Center. However, I had never learned much about refugees and had not done any research about what kind of work the African Community Center did. However, at the end of the class, I now realize how much I really did learn and accomplish. Throughout the class we have defined and redefined what a refugee is, beginning with the basic definition put forth by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees which defines refugees as “people who are outside their country of nationality or habitual residence and have a well-founded fear of persecution” (UNHCR 8). This term served as a basis, but throughout the class I have learned that a refugee is much, much more than this definition and that each refugee defines the term in his or her own way.
            The service-learning structure of the class allowed us to learn about refugees on both an academic and personal level. We were able to read novels and memoirs written by refugees, as well as critical journal articles about them, while at the same time interacting with real refugees face-to-face at the ACC. We were provided with so many levels of understanding and knowledge about this group of people. From What is the What, I learned that a refugee’s struggle does not end with resettlement in America or another first world country. Katrina M. Powell’s article “Rhetorics of Displacement: Constructing Identities in Forced Relocations” taught me that refugees often experience a “shattering of identity”, a difficult journey in which “the paths of displacement are violent” for the refugees forced to leave behind everything they once knew and by which they defined themselves  (301). Through my own experience at the ACC, I found that, while every refugee has faced different struggles, each one is often so happy to have the opportunity to start a new life in America. I was amazed by the courage and optimism I saw in every refugee I met. The experience really humbled me because I realized how privileged I am to be provided with the life and opportunities I currently have. 
            I also found that my knowledge of refugees has been useful outside of our specific class.  In my community wellness class, we were discussing policy issues related to community needs and well being. We read an article entitled ““The Economics of International Refugee Law” by Ryan Bubb, Michael Kremer, and David I, Levine, which discusses how “most refugees are now concentrated in poorer countries near their country of origin, often with limited economic opportunities” (368) and the international policy issues surrounding that problem. The article gave me a lot of perspective because I realized that refugee struggles are not isolated to those resettling in America and that refugee issues have sizable international implications.
            Ultimately, what I will take away from this class is the importance of true understanding when it comes to refugees as a group. Too often, the media misrepresents refugees as coming from places that are savage or barbaric. For example depictions of Sudanese refugees often incorporated “hegemonic understandings of Africa as a “’bushland’” which is inaccurate and demeaning to those refugees (Fadlalla 106). It is unfortunate that so many people do not have the kind of experience and knowledge I have gained from this class by working with and learning about refugees. These people will have false ideas and prejudices about a group of people that I have found to be both inspiring and a joy to work and spend time with.
            The realization that refugees are so misunderstood has encouraged me to continue to work with and learn about this group of people beyond this class. When refugee stories are understood properly, assisting the refugee population can be more effective. For example, employers or volunteers will not stereotype refugees they might be working with as uneducated or barbaric people. Instead, they will recognize that refugees are individuals and each one has unique skills and abilities. On a larger scale, education is important to influence policy decisions about refugees in the United States and abroad. At one point, I was totally unaware of the desperate situation refugees are facing around the globe, and I’m sure many others are unaware as well. The first step in resolving a problem like this is education. If we are not educated about who refugees are and what they are facing, we cannot hope to help them in any meaningful ways.

            Now that I am at least somewhat educated about the situation of refugees around the world and the many challenges they are facing both in America and abroad, I feel that it is my duty to spread awareness and continue to volunteer to help refugees. I know that all actions toward the cause can be beneficial. From helping one refugee fill out job applications to letting others know about that they can do to help, I know that my individual efforts can be meaningful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment